Rafiki and Counting

Rafiki, the crazy baboon from The Lion King, who counsels Simba when he needs it most.
Rafiki means "friend" in Swahili.
I was pleasantly surprised this week to discover that Rafiki is also "friend" in Kimwani.

I went down into Chibubware again to visit a new friend, Mama F, a Mwani lady who was so welcoming the last time I passed by. I want to get to know her better and build a relationship with her. I think she will be an exactly teacher as I learn Kimwani. I was not mistaken:

She was overjoyed to see me again and immediately started teaching me Kimwani. We laughed at every mistake as I tried to repeat various words and phrases. She said the word for friend and I started in surprise. 
Rafiki! I know that word!

As a child we spoke a few words of Swahili around the house in Nairobi, Kenya. I still remember some of those words well, despite it being 16 years later. 

I discovered the numbers I know in Swahili are almost identical in Kimwani. Mama F and I counted to 30 repeatedly as I learned the slight difference between the Swahili and Kimwani pronunciations.

I also learned the phrases: I'm going to my friend's house, I went to my friend's house, and thank you.


Isn't God awesome?!
To use something from my childhood to help make a connection with someone who does not yet know Him. Pray for my relationship with Mama F to grow and that I will have a chance in the future to share the Gospel with her.

Pray that God will cause my language learning to soar, just like this little boys kite. 

Comments

  1. Thank you Rachel for being such an awesome young lady and daughter of God!! Your posts are fantastic!!
    Praying for you
    Dean and Jacki Johnson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo