Dishes Off the Street

I followed my colleague from the car into the local market.
Stalls lined the walkway.
Lean-to's packed with every ware imaginable.

We stopped and sifted through a table full of kitchen items.
I handpicked the best forks, spoons, and knives I could find from the pile.

We continued on passed clothes, pots, sandals, fabric, phones, cups, chargers, plastic-ware, etc.
Some on make-shift tables, others spread out on the ground.
Puddles everywhere from the drizzling rain.

We walked further in.
The walkway shrunk to single-file.
Tight quarters.
Filled with people.

Me: trying to keep my skirt out of the dirty puddles
Carrying my small purchases, and managing to keep my purse secure.
Some people stared.

We arrived at the stalls with dishes.
So many choices, so many colors, so many designs.
What to choose?

I finally decided and purchased my very first ever set of dishes:
(sorry, I don't have a picture of the local market)

Setting up house is a new experience for me.
Who would have thought I would be buying my first set of dishes off the street in a small city in northern Mozambique?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo