EvangeCube Curiosity

Have you ever seen the EvangeCube? It's really cool to play with. I used to be fascinated with it as a child, trying to flip through the various images. 

My current housemate, Inge, has one on her shelf in the living room. I've been itching to play with it ever since I saw it. I finally got my chance.

"Can I borrow your EvangeCube?" I asked. "I want to take it to Mama Z's to learn it in Kimwani."

I eagerly reached for it when she agreed. Brushing the dust off, I started flipping through it. With a satisfied feeling, I tucked it into my bag. 

At Mama Z's house, I showed her the cube, walking her through the presentation in Portuguese. She listened with interest, marveling at how the cube functioned. 

"I want to learn how to say all this in Kimwani," I said.

She looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I am. We decided to break it down phrase by simple phrase over the course of several days so I could manage all the new Kimwani words.

"I believe God is one. He is holy and He created everything in heaven and earth."

The difficult part came at the end, with the last image. How to explain grace to someone who only knows a good-works based system? The first day we tried it, it didn't work. It sounded like a list of requirements for salvation; I wouldn't accept that.

On Friday, we found something that might work. It's not perfect, but better than any of the previous tries. While we worked on this, Mama Z's son walked into the dimly lit room. "Look," she showed him the cube, "Isn't this cool?" He nodded as she explained how it worked.

I smiled. Despite just grappling with a concept that conflicts with her current worldview her interest has not abated. Her positive response gives me hope. Hope that she might soon come to accept Jesus in her life, and hope for others as I share it with them in the coming weeks.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo