5-Day Club

The big week had finally arrived! I smiled in excitement as I thought about the 5-Day Club about to happen at the Welcome House. Several refugee families had been invited of mixed beliefs and backgrounds. I was also nervous. How would it go? Would anyone get offended? Angry? Keep their kids from coming? Or stop the 5-Day Club from happening?

(A 5-Day Club is a ministry of CEF, a type of backyard Bible club with stories, songs, games, and memory verses)

Day 1

As the CEF teachers walked toward the tree, one talkative little boy following in my shadow went on the defensive. He said his family doesn't believe in Jesus and asked something about God having a dad. I went on alert as I listened to him. This is exactly what I was nervous about. I wanted to navigate these conversations with respect for others but in a way that the Truth could still be proclaimed.

"I know you don't believe in Jesus," I said as we walked into the shade of the tree. He seemed happy that I knew this already. "And God doesn't have a dad, He's God, He can't have a dad like you and I, right?" He nodded in satisfaction and went off to play with the other kids while the teachers set out their teaching supplies.

After everyone had arrived and settled on the blankets and chairs, I wanted to clarify one thing before the CEF teachers started. "Kids, these teachers are Christian."

"What's a Christian?" *Sarah asked.

I gave a response and then said, "They might teach some things that are different than what you've heard before, but we all agree on one thing." All the faces looked up at me expectantly. "We all believe there is only one God," The kids nodded. "How many gods are there?" I asked.

"Only one God!" They all shouted in unison. Some people think Christians believe in 3 gods. I wanted to clarify this point at the beginning.

The first day went really well. We even had one of the moms from Afghanistan joining in as much as she could and asking her daughter to translate what she didn't understand in English. I could hardly contain my joy as she said the memory verse (John 14:6) with gusto along with the rest of us.

Day 2

My phone rang 10 minutes before I needed to leave for the 5-Day Club. Multiple voices clamored at me on the other end. "Are you coming today?" "Are we having 5-Day Club today?" "You're coming, right?"

I smiled as I recognized at least 3 of the voices. "Yes, I'm coming today," I said. "I will be there at 2:45." Excitement exploded on the other end!

"Are you in your car?" The talkative little boy asked through the din.

I laughed, someone wanted me there as quickly as possible. "No, I'm sitting in my room, but I'll leave in a few minutes." More excitement from the voices on the other end. "I'll see you there," I said, and they hung up.

When I finally pulled up to the house, 5 kids came running towards me shouting and yelling my name. They all pointed back at the shade tree behind them and proudly told me they had set up all the chairs and blankets for us. I looked, and sure enough, everything looked perfect.

Later, little *Sid leaned up against me as we sat listening to the story of Cain and Abel. *Shuggy and her sister sat on the other side of me. Other kids sat in front of and around us. Everyone seemed to listen with great attention.

Day 3

A big storm blew through, remnants of a hurricane from the south. The CEF teachers called to confirm if we would still have the club. I told them yes, we had access to the vacant apartment on the main floor of the Welcome House.

I drove cautiously through the massive puddle in front of the Welcome House, trying to figure out where to park. The 5 kids came running up again doing the 5-Day Club chant.

"What time is it? What time is it? 5-Day Club! What time is it? What time is it? 5-Day Club!" I couldn't help grinning at their enthusiasm. They carried on their chant as I parked, got it, and carried everything inside, treading carefully over the water-logged ground leading up to the Welcome House.


In answer to two different questions, the talkative little boy said, "Sin is the bad stuff we do... Jesus died for our sins." He's an intelligent kid, trying to process and understand everything in his little world.

Day 4

The kids seemed a bit more restless. In fact, I wondered if some of the kids were being disruptive on purpose. Maybe because they had started to understand that what the teachers were saying went against their own religion. Or maybe because their parents had started to show signs of disapproval. I continued to pray that God's Word would be proclaimed and that we could finish the 5-Day Club.

Day 5

The talkative little boy asked me how Jesus could be perfect, I told him because Jesus is God. He scrunched up his face, trying to understand this. Later, he asked, "How can we be separated from God if God is always with us?" He was still trying to understand and put everything together but he was having difficulty with it.

All the kids were sad at the end of the 5-Day Club. The Afghan mom, who said the memory verse (John 14:6) with gusto, said she had enjoyed the 5-Day Club so much and asked when we would have the next one. I don't know, but I see all these kids regularly and will definitely follow up with them.

I count it a privilege to have been able to host this 5-Day Club and bring glory to God's name. Many seeds were planted in little hearts and minds (16 kids and 2 moms). The Gospel was boldly proclaimed. May His Word not return empty but accomplish the purpose God has for it.

Comments

  1. God truly used you in your 5-Day Club, and we will pray for God's work in each of their lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

God's Backward Oreo