Focal Point

How did they manage to get that there? I wondered as I walked up to Mama Z's house. My eyes shifted from the conspicuous van parked in a tight spot to Mama Z sitting on her porch talking to a visitor. As I greeted her the van kept asking for my attention. It meant her husband must be around. What would he think about my purpose in visiting Mama Z today?


I stopped the new Jesus Film halfway through the three hours. "We'll finish the other half another day," I told Mama Z and the rest of her family.

Papa Z shifted his position. He had not only allowed me to show the Jesus Film but had watched with interest as well. "I don't understand," he said, "Is Jesus God or the Son of God?"

"Jesus is God," I said. 

"If Jesus is God," he went on, "and He died on the cross, who continued to drive* the world?" (*direct translation)

"God the Father did," I replied.

"So there are two gods?" he asked.

"No, there is only one God..."

Our conversation walked around in circles. I attempted to clarify the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) and Jesus existence before being born yet it's a difficult subject to grasp. Finally, Mama Z cut in. Leaning over and resting an arm on her husband's leg she stated, "Jesus Christ is God who died on the cross for our sins. Right, Rachel?"

The force of her statement pushed me back in my chair. "Right," I agreed with a nod. 

Papa Z asked another question. Mama Z opened her mouth to answer him, but he interrupted her, "I want to hear Rachel's answer."

Wanting to affirm her and astounded at the boldness of her previous statement I said, "I agree with Mama Z, what she said is true."

"I only said what I understood from the conversation, from what you're saying," she replied with humility.

"I wish I had my Bible with me. I've mentioned several verses, but I don't know them as well in Portuguese as I do in English. I'll bring my Bible another day and we can continue this conversation. Let's be praying that God will reveal the truth to us." Papa Z nodded in agreement.

I said goodbye and stepped out into the night, a bright moon hanging over the peaceful neighborhood. I wanted to sing for joy! I had enjoyed the whole conversation, but Mama Z's bold statement became the focal point in my mind.

Several days later with 100-degree heat and 70% humidity, I went swimming at my friend's house. Still savouring that conversation and the greatness of God, I almost didn't see the baby lizard laying dead in the water. Or at least he looked dead. When I picked him up he grasped my finger. At the edge of the pool he clung to me instead of scampering away and stayed like that for a while.

Both moments brought joy to my heart this week, but the little lizard can't compare to the focal point of Mama Z's statement during the conversation at her house. May God be glorified in that home.

Comments

  1. God is truly using you and His Word in the lives of people there. Continue on, dear faithful servant of the Lord there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And He has promised that His Word will never return void

      Delete
  2. What a amazing blessing that Mama Z knows who Jesus is and what He has done for us!! Praise God from whom all blessings come!! Prayerfully your friend, Deb :) Dave too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo