Surprise Trip Down Memory Lane

On Sunday God gave me a surprise trip down memory lane.

After sharing about the ministry in Mozambique at a church a lady made a beeline for me. She asked if I remembered her. At first, I didn't recognize her because of her mask, but when she said 5-Day Club, my mind plunged down memory lane.

In high school, I volunteered with Child Evangelism Fellowship. Every summer, I taught God's Word to kids in various neighborhoods. The lady standing before me had hosted one of those clubs. "Yes, I remember you," I replied in surprise.

"Do you remember L ____? She was saved in the club you taught at my house!" the lady said, her words spilling over each other in her excitement. "You were the one who talked to her, explaining the Gospel to her, and she believed in Jesus as her Savior."

My mind reeled, trying to process the flood of information. It has been almost ten years since I taught 5-Day Clubs and I haven't kept in touch with the host's/hostesses. I don't know what happened to most of the kids I taught.

Me, dressed up for Crazy Day at a 5-Day Club

"I continued to disciple her after the club finished," the lady at church continued. "Her parents didn't like that she became a Christian, but she told them she wasn't going to change her mind. She told the guy she was with at the time that she couldn't date him anymore because he wasn't a Christian. Now she's engaged to a good Christian guy."

"Wow, that's incredible," I responded, joy rising in my heart as her words sunk in. "Thank you so much for discipling her and thank you for telling me."

"I didn't know you would be here at church today. I wasn't planning on coming," the lady told me, emotion seeping into her voice. "I haven't been feeling well for over a year."

I wanted to reach out and give her a hug. "I'm glad you came! Thank you so much for sharing this with me! If you see L ___, tell her I say hi."

I'm thankful God nudged this lady to go to church on the day that I was there. I hope our encounter blessed her as much as it blessed me. For me, hearing an update about one of the kids God saved in a club I taught years ago was a huge encouragement.

Somedays I get discouraged that none of the Mwani people I know have believed in Jesus as Lord and Savior. What has happened to all the seeds that have been planted? This glimpse down memory lane reminded me to stay obedient to God and to trust Him with the results.

Comments

  1. What a blessing Rachel! Thank you for sharing! Sometimes when the Gospel is shared, there may be silent conversions that we are never aware of until we get to Heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo