Arrival in Pemba

As the lights of Pemba came into view through the airplane window I could feel the spiritual darkness pressing in around me. Negative memories came flooding into my mind. My heart cried out to the Lord, "I can't do this. I can't do this on my own. God, I need You!"

God's comfort filled me and reminded me that I never could do it on my own. I began to breathe easier and the plane touched down in Pemba. After disembarking, I made it through customs, met my team leaders in front of the airport, and finally crashed onto my bed, exhausted and ready for sleep.

At midnight, I woke up to pounding rain on the roof and crashing thunder. A little over a year ago a similar storm paralyzed me in fear. This time a smile hovered at the corners of my mouth as I felt God's peace surround me. I listened to the storm for a while and then drifted back to sleep.

Storm clouds rolling into Pemba

The next day I walked into Mama R's yard. She jumped up and gave me a huge hug that warmed my heart and soul. Oh, how I've missed her and many others. It feels good to be back.

I know the road ahead will not be easy. (I've already burned myself pretty bad). Yet I have God's promise "I will never leave you" to cling to (Hebrews 13:5). He has brought me safely back to Pemba and He will sustain me here.

Comments

  1. You are in your home of Pemba, and God brought you safely back! :) Wonderful that you spent time together with Mama R! Prayerfully you friends, Dave & Deb :) HUGS! You are loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very happy and praising God that you were able to refuse those fearful thoughts so God's peace could be your comfort!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo