The Sweetness of "Wait"

Desperately, helplessly, longingly, I cried.
Quietly, patiently, lovingly, He replied.
I pleaded, and I wept for a clue to my fate,
And the Master so gently said, “Child, you must wait.”
 
“Wait? You say wait??” my indignant reply.
“Lord, I need answers, I need to know why.
...
“My future, and all to which I can relate
Hangs in the balance, and you tell me ‘wait’?
...
I heard this poem by Russell Kelfer when I was in my second year of college. I wrote it in my journal and have gone back to read it many times. It feels like this has been my exchange with God lately as I wait for an answer about my return date to Mozambique.
 
... Lord I’ve been asking, and this is my cry:
“I’m weary of asking: I need a reply!”
 
Then quietly, softly, I learned of my fate
As my Master replied once again, “You must wait.”
So I slumped in my chair; defeated and taut
And grumbled to God; “So I’m waiting, for what?”

Why should I have to wait so long to receive a return date from the AIM office? What could be more important than going back to share the Gospel with the lost? What am I supposed to tell supporters when they ask for an update? That I know absolutely nothing about my return and I'm just sitting around at home waiting?
 
He seemed then to kneel and His eyes met with mine
And He tenderly said, “I could give you a sign.
I could shake the heavens, darken the sun,
Raise the dead, cause the mountains to run.

“All you see I could give, and pleased you would be.
You would have what you want, but you wouldn’t know Me.
You’d not know the depth of My love for each saint;
You’d not know the power that I give to the faint.
 
“You’d not learn to see through clouds of despair;
You’d not learn to trust, just by knowing I’m there.
You’d not know the joy of resting in Me,
When darkness and silence was all you could see.
 
“You would never experience that fullness of love
As the peace of My Spirit descends like a dove.
You would know that I give, and I save, for a start,
But you’d not know the depth of the beat of My heart.
 
“The glow of My comfort late in the night;
The faith that I give when you walk without sight;
The depth that’s beyond getting just what you ask
From an infinite God who makes what you have last.
...

“So be silent, my child, and in time you will see
That the greatest of gifts is to get to know Me.
And though oft’ may My answers seem terribly late, 
My most precious answer of all….is still…wait.” 
by Russell Kelfer

Waiting patiently for the unknown is not one of my strengths. Yet what choice do I have but to trust God right now? In the waiting, He has blessed me with extra time with my family.

My brother and I made a lemon meringue pie yesterday. It took time to make and even after it came out of the oven looking beautiful and inviting, we still had to wait hooooours for it to cool in the fridge. After waiting the appropriate time, we were finally rewarded with a sweet and mouthwatering flavor. The wait was worth it.

If God wants me back in Mozambique, He will bring me back in His perfect timing. If the sweet reward of waiting is knowing "the depth of the beat of His heart," then it's worth the wait.

Sometimes I get anxious or nervous. I want a yes, a return date, or at least something to go on. But His "most precious answer of all... is still... wait."

Comments

  1. Love this. Been trying not to bother you with questions, since I figured you'd tell me when you know. Praying for this peaceful time to be peaceful. Glad you get to spend time with Nate; sibling time is special and limited. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 Yes, sibling time is very special.
      I will let people know as soon as I have a return date.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this poem. It beautifully expresses the struggle between being confident God is sovereign, and God is good, and fighting discouragement and disappointment.

    I am praying that you will continue to discern God’s direction, and grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the poem. :)
      Thank you for your prayers, I appreciate them. <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo