Colorful Compromise

Imagine walking down a grimy hospital corridor, the smell of dirt, blood, and urine hangs in the hot, humid air. You turn into a room with six beds and approach a young woman lying on one of the thin, plastic mattresses. A bundle wrapped in a patchwork of cloths is nestled at her side. You greet her and smile down into the precious face of her newborn baby boy.

The instinct to protect and care for her baby is evident in the woman's eyes. She wants to do what's best for him. She keeps her son wrapped up in the patchwork of fabric as you drive her back home. But, within a week or two, the baby has a heat rash all over his body from being bundled up too much in the sweltering heat.

---

I saw little babies with heat rashes many times in the community in Mozambique. Women would come to me and say "Look, my baby has a problem." I had to bite my tongue to keep from accusing the well-intentioned mothers.

In August, I thought of a crazy compromise. I started learning how to crochet to keep myself busy while waiting to return and so I can give baby blankets, hats, and socks as gifts once I'm back. You might be thinking, "How is crocheted yarn going to help? Wouldn't that still be too hot?" Maybe, maybe not.

I spent time learning how to crochet a light, loose stitch that some air can pass through. When I give them as gifts I will encourage the mothers to only put them on at night, when it's windy, or in the cooler season. I don't want to rob these mothers of the joy of caring for their babies. I want them to feel a sense of responsibility as they wrap their babies up in beautiful blankets while avoiding the ugly heat rashes.

Two blankets, two hats, two pairs of socks

Mama R called me this morning and I showed her the picture above. She oohed and aahed over it and kept repeating "I want to learn as soon as you get back. I want to learn how to make these. They're so beautiful!" Her exuberance gives me hope that this colorful compromise will work. She is respected in the community and others will listen to what she says. I look forward to crocheting more, to teaching Mama R, and to seeing the radiant faces of mothers when they bundle their babies in these colorful blankets, hats, and socks.

Comments

  1. God bless you and supply you with what you need to crochet these baby items and share them with the mothers in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will sure come in handy for the babes at a time like this with Eloise causing rains. Well done friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo