Welcome Back

I called out to Mama R as I walked into her yard my first day back in Pemba. She responded from inside her house, asking if it was one of the neighbors. As she came out the door and spotted me she said "it is you!" and gave me a hug (which I've never seen her do before).

(the view from my first week back in Pemba)

When the church service ended several of my friends came over to greet me, welcoming me back, and giving me hugs.

Mama S sat up with a big grin on her face, despite having a cold and a headache, as she saw me coming. 

Mama J was bubbling with excitement as I stopped in to visit her with Lauren.

These are the reasons why I love living in Pemba. What makes it worth coming back after being gone for a month. What I miss when I'm away. What makes difficulties or unexpected leadership responsibilities easier to deal with.

Yes, I said unexpected leadership responsibilities...

My team leader and family are now in the U.S. raising support until the end of the year. The family that was going to take over temporary leadership responsibilities are now leaving the field for family reasons. Which means the weight of responsibility falls of my shoulders as "senior member" of the team left in Pemba.

Helping Lauren as she makes the adjustment to living here (heat, culture differences, language learning, building relationships, buying furniture for her room, etc) is a priority. Helping the other 'new' family who arrived mid-September because they are still adjusting and settling into their home.

It is a blessing to have Lauren here; my long-awaited housemate.
Please pray that she will adjust well, that God will give us both wisdom through the process, and pray that I would lean even more heavily on the Lord for strength.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo