Africa Based Orientation

My heart was racing. My head was pounding.
Dashing down the hall, up the stairs, and into my room, I grabbed my backpack and started throwing essentials in. Passport, money, change of clothes, good shoes, vaccine history card, other important documents, snacks, water, toiletries.
Less than 6 minutes later I was racing back down the stairs to meet up with the rest of the group.

That was a drill during our safety and security session at the Africa Based Orientation training I have been attending the past three weeks. I succeeded in grabbing almost everything our security officer had on her list of important things needed in a To Go Bag in case of emergency or evacuation.
(A ready dad during our security drill)

I tucked my hair underneath the scarf covering my head and shoulders as we walked toward the imposing building to observe a typical, afternoon prayer time and listen to the leader explain about his religion.
Part of learning about one of the major world religions prevalent in Africa.
(My long-awaited teammate Lauren and I on our "field trip")

Ruth pulled tissues out of her pocket and handed it to the lady needing it that day. At least one of us would cry during our morning prayer time and she, as a good leader, always came prepared. 
Being vulnerable with one another, drawing closer, and praying together is one of the things I will miss the most from this training.
(My sisters-in-Christ, morning prayer partners, and fellow workers in the mission field)

How can one stay mentally and physically healthy while serving on the mission field in Africa?

What would cause a mother not to speak about her married daughter's pregnancy? Not to ask when she's due or what gender the baby is?
(African Culture and Worldview with Duncan)

How important is it to be a life-long learner and become a belonger in ones community?

These, and other things, are what I learned during ABO. Though tiring, it is a very valuable training all members of AIM are required to take.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo