Women's Day

"Raquel, come here," Mama R secretively beckoned me into the tiny barraca.
Mama S joined us and they proudly whispered their scheme to me.
"What do you think?" they asked expectantly.

7 de Abril
A significant day in the life of every woman in Mozambique.
A day to dress up in brand new, matching capulanas with your friends and celebrate Women's Day.

The plan was for me to go with Mama R into the city to pick out our capulanas and for me to make a chocolate cake for their special day.
My heart leaped with joy to be included in their plans. What a great idea!

Ana, of course, would be included.
We would all meet at Mama R's house after Ana and I got back from church.
Ana would bring pudding and juice to add to the festivities.

The anticipated day came: We all laughed while trying to arrange the stiff fabric just so on our heads (I needed a lot of help with mine). I insisted on taking a few pictures to commemorate the day, then we went out a bit before returning to Mama R's house to eat our cake.
It was great to celebrate our growing friendships on such a special occasion.
Thank God for friendships, which lead to open hearts in the community to listen to, and hopefully receive, the message of salvation.

(The children laughed as they watched all three women trying to arrange my capulana so it would stay and not keep slipping off)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo