I Survived a Cyclone

Thank God for answering prayers and protecting us from the worst of Cyclone Kenneth!

We had terrible winds Thursday night, but not like what they had further north. The main damage here in Pemba is from trees falling down (on wires, walls, roads, and some houses) and some roofing material flying off. Pray for those further north who felt the brunt of the cyclone. 
Friday night it poured rain like I've never seen before, with lightning and thunder. A lot of houses had water enter, including my house a little. One of the guard's houses flooded completely and his family lost all their food. It's still raining, and probably will continue off and on for several more days.

My friend's barraca store, where I always sit and talk, was robbed of absolutely everything during the strong winds Thursday night. I visited her down in Chibubware today to offer comfort and let her know I would try to help her as I'm able to.

As I sat with another friend, I was able to explain a bit why I was worried about them before the storm. That I know where I am going when I die because I have eternal life, but I don't have that certainty for them. I was also able to share Psalm 46 because I told her it encouraged me. I read it aloud first, and then she wanted to read it for herself. It made me happy to hear her reading a part of God's Word and I pray it makes a difference in her life, as God promises (Isaiah 55:11).

Shining God's light, love, and hope into my friends' lives here was my main purpose in staying in the face of the storm. Thank God for giving me those opportunities today. Pray for more opportunities in the coming days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo