Discovering through Stories

You have 5 minutes... Go!

"Wow, you cut your finger tips on a table saw? ... And you went right back the next day and kept working?! Why? ... Hmm, because you really like building things as a carpenter. That's fascinating. You know that reminds me of a story..."

Switch!

"Your daughter-in-law had to send her two kids away to be taken care of by other people while she had surgery? That must have been hard for her. Can I share a story with you about a similar situation?"
...
Switch Again!

"You've been really busy lately? Do you feel tired, worn out, or maybe wishing someone else could help you with your tasks? I know a story that might help..."

That speed storying round was a fun way for 20+ people to close off a long Simply the Story workshop. It showed us how to connect what we had learned to everyday conversations with those around us. A way to bring spiritual truths into ordinary situations.

Speed storying, though, was not the main focus of the workshop. My favorite part was the deep discussions. Uncovering truths together as we asked the questions from our new tool belt. We all learned to listen well to others' responses in order to know how to adjust questions and applications to fit each person or group.

Simply the Story is sharing Bible stories through deep, interactive discussions making an impact which changes lives.

I'm looking forward to using this method of sharing Truth with the Mwani people in a relational, memorable way that God can use to change their hearts. 
(Overlooking Pemba, where I'll be sharing these stories with Mwani people)

But God also taught me much through the workshop. I learned new insights into familiar stories by asking those questions and a new approach to do devotions in a fun, lively way.

Ask me for a story next time you see me :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo