Travels and Third Culture Kids

Pemba, a place I have learned to call home.

But yesterday I traveled to Kenya for a 3 week training.
As the plane descended toward Nairobi I felt like I was coming home.
I have called many places home, but Kenya holds a special place in my heart because of all my wonderful, childhood memories.

I count it a huge blessing to be a Third Culture Kid. Caught between cultures, I often see the world differently through a unique set of lenses. I can flex back and forth to fit in or understand one culture or another.
But at the same time, the feeling of never truly belonging hovers at the edge of the heart.

Theo and Malu, my little traveling companions, children of my Brazilian teammates, are now experiencing the life of Third Culture Kids.
They are really good friends and it's cute to see them together.
Theo was excited to be traveling with "Tia Tachel" (Aunt Rachel as he pronounces it in Portuguese) and stuck with me most of the trip from Pemba to Nairobi.

It's nice to be there for these precious little ones. To be the Aunt they don't have here in Africa. To understand what it is like to grow up as a Third Culture Kid.

Pray for all of us as we attend the training, that we will leave better equipped to serve in Pemba.
Pray that I will keep my eyes fixed on my Eternal Home for that is the reason I live in Pemba. To share the Hope of Eternity with those who don't yet have it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo