Mentor Walk

On Monday I had the privilege of participating in a very special occasion called a mentor walk. This particular mentor walk was for Cassandra Brandenburg, a young lady in my church I've disicipled, who recently turned 16. 

Month's in advance Cassandra's mother secretly informed eight of us, who had an impact in Cassie's life, of this surprise event. On the long-anticipated day we gathered, a few of us participating in a mentor walk for the first time and others who knew what they were doing. We staked ourselves out along the planned-on boardwalk and sat waiting until Cassandra would arrive. 

Each of us had been asked to prepare a piece of wisdom we wanted to pass on to her. To go with that piece of wisdom we each had an image or picture on a charm so Cassie could keep it as a reminder of that special day and the wisdom passed on to her. 

I looked up from my position on the boardwalk and spotted Cassie coming towards me. She broke down crying when she saw me and gave me a big hug. I was able to share what I had prepared for her based on Matthew 22:37-38 where Jesus says, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment." Encouraging her to put her love for God above all else, to run after Him, to run to Him in the midst of challenges, and to cling to Him in the hard times. The following image is what is on her small charm.

Afterwards we all walked to a restaurant for a celebration lunch to close it off. Cassie stood up and shared what we had all passed on to her, a rich treasure trove of wisdom from a variety of sources and life-experiences. As she shared each one she held up the matching image/picture on it's charm and said she would make them into a necklace to remember them by, then she thanked us for being there for her and making that day so special.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo