Amigas e Portugues

Camp: I spent a week and a half at youth camp on the beach by the Indian Ocean in XaiXai province (April 4-13). Grades 6-9 arrived on a Monday and I got my first cabin of girls: Alexandra, Vania, Andrea, Laura, and Shanese. Alexandra and I grew very close and we are planning to meet next week so I can encourage her spiritually and she can show me around Maputo. Farah was a girl on the yellow team I co-led with Jabu; she and I are planning a time where we can see each other again to build a better relationship. It was very hard to say goodbye when the grades 6-9  campers left but we welcomed the grades 10-12 campers just a few hours later. At first I was very intimidated by them but God taught me to open up to them and be honest, genuine, and transparent. I had three girls in my cabin from that group: Chelsea, Shantell, and Thandiwe, they were quiet most of the time but asked very good questions. Both groups had a lot of fun, playing games, singing, swimming, hanging out, and most importantly learning from God's Word. I thank God for the ability to stay connected through technology. 

Maputo: Never thought I would be living in a flat five floors up in the heart of a city but this is my new home, where God has placed me to minster. Pastor Carlos and Mama Zeza have taken me in as their daughter and are treating me as such. They are a wonderful couple and very patient with me. I have a room to myself where I can rest, relax, work on homework, and study my Portuguese. I will get the chance to stay with other families as well before I leave to go back to South Africa on May 1. Last night we had over 20 young people from their church over to play games and learn from the Palavra da Deus (Word of God). 

Portuguese: I am only able to communicate a little bit so far because it takes a lot of concentration to listen for the words I should know, especially when they speak fast. But, I have some wonderful people helping me and encouraging me and by God's grace I will learn to speak and understand Portuguese! This morning, when trying to speak with one of the young ladies (Julia) I told her "Eu tenho uma capulana, nao sei ..." and made motions of trying to wrap something around my waste, (a capulana is a special fabric that Mozambicans use for skirts, tablecloths, or make into dresses and bags). Julia understood that I wanted her to show me how to wrap my capulana around my waste. After she put the capulana on me we took some pictures together; I look forward to seeing her at church tomorrow. 

Please pray for ... 
   * good follow-up with these girls
   * motivation and strength for me to learn Portuguese

Praise God for...
   * a good ministry at camp
   * all the relationships he is establishing and nurturing already

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo