Early Morning

Have I ever woken up for an Easter Sunrise Service? Not that I can remember. I'm not much of a morning person. Yet, incredibly, I convinced myself to wake up for the sunrise on Palm Sunday this year. At 4:50 in the morning. Why? Because my friends had taken me to the beach as a special farewell before my Home Assignment and I wanted to make the most of it.

Roseli, my Brazilian teammate, is always awake at that time. She and I walked along the beach searching for pretty shells, talking, and watching the sun slowly rise. Even though it was Palm Sunday I still reflected on Easter and its meaning to me. Just as surely as the sun rises every morning, so we know for certain that Jesus has risen. He is the reason I serve among the Mwani people in Mozambique.

After the sun rose I took advantage of the tranquil morning and went for a swim. Floating on the surface of the water, I soaked up the beauty of God's creation. I heard the soft, melodic tinkling of tiny shell particles brushing along the sandy bottom in the gentle ocean current. I smiled and felt the warmth of the new sun shining on my face. The fresh, clean air filled my lungs.

Two hours later my friends and I sheltered in the shade of an umbrella from the scorching sun, singing worship songs and watching the small waves break along the shore in front of us. I fingered the ridges of the orange and yellow shell I had found. A tangible object I could take with me to remember the special weekend away in the midst of the craziness of finishing my classes, packing up, and leaving earlier than expected.

I will be gone from Mozambique for a while. I will miss it and all the wonderful people there. Yet, this is a season I know I must be in the U.S. for, spending time with, family, friends, and supporters before returning to Mozambique to share the hope of the resurrection with those who have never heard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo