Breath of Fresh Air

I marveled at my newly arrived teammates. Bruna's husband, Vinicius, led us down the winding dirt path to meet up with a local pastor. Vinicius had discovered a community with Mwani people tucked away in such an unlikely spot I had no idea it existed.

"My heart is bursting with joy!" Bruna said next to me. "I'm so proud of my husband for connecting with Pastor Daudi. He's flourishing here!"

I turned and smiled at Bruna. Behind her, I spotted the cathedral that stands in the center of Nampula city, a small landmark on the distant horizon. A green landscape spread out before us. I breathed in the fresh, clean air and felt it cleanse away some of the frustrations of living in a chaotic, dirty city. Gratitude filled me for being invited along.


Pastor Daudi came towards us down a different path. He waved and greeted each one of us and took us to the first Mwani home. The customary greetings ensued and introductions were made. I let the Kimwani words flow over me, covering me in a joy similar to Bruna's. 

"This is one of the guys who comes to the group," Pastor Daudi said. He had shared the Gospel with various people in that community. Those interested formed a group that met on a regular basis to discuss God's Word.

"How many are in your group?" I asked him.

"Around fifteen," he replied.

"Fifteen!?" I repeated in shock. That's a large number for this type of ministry. More than I had expected.

On the way to the next Mwani home Pastor Daudi continued to share with us. "I've been living and working in this community for four months." He pointed to a simple structure. "A couple of Mwanis from the group have even visited that church."


I jumped over a mini canyon carved out by the rains as I listened. Only four months? Fifteen Mwani people wanting to learn about Jesus? Some even visiting church?  I couldn't get over my amazement as we arrived at the next Mwani home and greeted the two ladies out front. I couldn't get over my amazement as we all talked in the car on the way back afterwards.

I still can't get over my amazement. Yet, I shouldn't be amazed. It's been my prayer for months that God would raise up local people to get involved in the ministry. Pastor Daudi is an answer to prayer. In the midst of all the troubles going on in northern Mozambique it's refreshing to see God using people like Pastor Daudi to fulfill His purposes.

Comments

  1. Exciting to hear how God is working in MZ. Thanks for sharing, Rachel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to hear about the ministry of Pastor Daudi and how God is using him to reach others for Christ!! We have an all powerful God!! Prayerfully, your friends, Deb & Dave :) Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo