Sleep-in Panic

How much trouble can sleeping-in cause? When you're sick, your body needs extra sleep, right? No big deal... Unless you're house sitting and no one can get ahold of you and your friend panics.

The shrill bark of the dog woke me up. I rolled over and turned my phone back on. I had turned it off to save battery since I had forgotten to bring my phone charger. I stared at the screen in shock. It said 9:02am. It couldn't be, I had to meet someone at 8:00, and the house help needed to be let in. It couldn't be that late. My phone must be wrong.

Then Gracie called. I could hear the panic and relief in her voice. Panic because she hadn't been able to get a hold of me. Relief because I had finally answered my phone.

"I need to call everyone back and tell them you're okay," she said. I sat on the edge of the bed, groggy, the phrase bouncing around in my mind. Call everyone back?

Apparently, the house help had been knocking at the gate and trying to call my phone for over half an hour before he called her, worried. She couldn't get ahold of me either and called my team leader. Then she told the house help to go down the road and get the spare keys from another family. She wanted him to find out if I was okay.

Gracie started thinking about every possible scenario for why she couldn't get ahold of me. She knew certain facts: I had been sick for days (hence no blog post last week). The guard had taken the night off. I usually wake up early and my phone is never off. I managed to explain what had happened. Reassured, she hung up.

I dragged myself out of bed, unlocked the doors, greeted the dogs, and opened the gate for the house help. I rescheduled my 8:00 appointment for another day. Only later did it hit me what a great friend Gracie is.

That night, in Bible study, Proverbs 17:17 came up, "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." I told everyone about Gracie's care and concern for me that morning and my gratitude for her friendship. I've also learned a valuable lesson: never turn my phone off without letting someone know first. 😅

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo