Kaleidoscope

My fear grew as the familiar receded in the rearview mirror of my car. I focused on the dirt road ahead, flanked by a motley of trees and bushes, fading off into the unknown. Mama A sat next to me. She wanted to get medicine for herself and her two kids. Apparently, the central hospital hadn't helped. The idea that I had unknowingly agreed to take her to a 'traditional healer,' (someone who mixes plant medicine with strange spiritual practices), increased with each tree I drove passed. 

When Mama A told me to turn right, my breath caught in surprise. An arch with catholic images confronted me. Relief flooded in as we drove down the quaint paving stone lane draped in greenery flecked with pink flowers

Mama A went to the consulting window. I sat in the outdoor waiting room: stone benches spread under the sprawling cashew trees in front of the catholic compound. A kaleidoscope of bright capulana fabric captured my attention. Reds, blues, pinks, turquoise, yellows, oranges, greens. The women wrapped in the rainbow array moved around, talking to one another, while they waited.

I heard one of the women say a word I knew in Kimwani. I perked up. I told myself they couldn't be speaking Kimwani, but the more I listened the more convinced I became. An older lady sat down near me. I asked her if she spoke Kimwani and she nodded yes. Our continued conversation attracted attention. Heads turned our way and a few women wandered closer.

I found myself surrounded, the women incredulous at hearing me speak Kimwani. They had all fled Mocimboa, once the Mwani heartland. Far from home, surrounded by Makua people, and lacking basic needs they gather at the Catholic place every day to receive whatever help they can get.

Mama A walked over, medicine in hand, asking to leave. I didn't want to leave. First, I wanted to find out where the women lived so I could visit them later. Confusion erupted as they started demanding I help them with clothes and food. Mama A stepped in. She allowed me to exchange numbers with two women before escaping.

Driving home, a kaleidoscope of emotions whirled within me. I felt grateful for God's creativity in introducing me to that group of women. I felt sadened by their demanding attitude. I felt compassion for their situation. I felt a desire to share the hope of the Gospel with them.

I'm thankful for God's control in all circumstances. I'm thankful that He knows what the future holds. I'm thankful for His promised guidance as I walk into that future.

Comments

  1. God will continue to direct your steps as your heart is open to those without Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your God appointed experience and your willingness to talk with others. Prayerfully your friend, Deb :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo