Dripping Mangoes

I didn't want to go. My body protested when I hoisted myself off the couch after my midday break from the hot sun. "I need to at least give Mama A the yarn I promised her a week ago for her crochet blanket," I told myself, trying to fight the urge to be a couch potato. "If I still don't feel great, I'll come back and rest."

Walking past tree after tree dripping with mangoes, my mouth began to water. It's too early for them to be ripe and juicy, but how I long for them to be ready! Unfortunately, the relish in my mouth at the thought of eating mangoes jarred with the cramp in my stomach. I wasn't sure how I would make it through my visit with Mama A.

Visiting Mama A calls for motivation on a good day. The atmosphere around her house often feels devoid of love. Sitting on the reed mat with her for hours leaves my back stiff and sore. I often feel drained afterward. Yet last week when I had tried to leave early she exclaimed, "Already?! But I'm really enjoying this!" accompanied by such a glow of happiness on her face that it rooted me to the mat.

Does she sense something when she's with me? Is it possible that she recognizes the love of Christ? Maybe she senses His presence when I'm around and doesn't want to lose it.

Passing the last mango tree, in sight of Mama A's house, my back revolted at the thought of sitting on the reed mat with her. I almost turned around and went home. A card pinned to the corkboard in my room flashed through my mind: Christ's Love compels me. Yes, Lord, that's why I'm here, to bring love and Your truth to homes who have not heard it, to those who need it most. 

A smile split Mama A's toughened face when she saw me. "Where have you been?" she asked. 

"I haven't been feeling well, but today is a bit better so I wanted to bring the yarn that I promised you last week," I replied.

Minutes after she had set the yarn on the mat, her neighbor's toddler picked it up. Mama A fought the little guy for the ball, dragging it out of his hands. He started wailing. To my shock she pulled the child into an embrace, trying to soothe him and tell him everything was okay. So there is love under that hard exterior, I thought, used to her constantly yelling at the kids.

Mama A informed me her sister-in-law, *Rosa, had finally returned from Pemba. We walked a few streets over to welcome her back, and I noticed my back and stomach didn't hurt anymore. I asked both ladies if they would be interested in watching the Jesus Film. They said yes and we agreed to watch it Sunday evening.

As Mama A and *Rosa walked me home I looked with longing at the mangoes again. They are absorbing sweetness from the sun's rays and will soon be ripe. Mama A and *Rosa are also soaking up the light of the Son of God through our conversations together and listening to the audio Bible before sleep every night. I pray the seeds that are planted in their hearts will come to bear fruit one day.

Comments

  1. What a lovely time you had with these friends of yours. May God's love enter their hearts as they are hearing of His love and forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel for heeding the call of the Holy Spirit and sharing the love of Jesus, in spite of not feeling well. Good reason for us to be constantly praying for you. The enemy has a green thumb for growing couch potatoes. 1 Peter 5:8–9 (NKJV): Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we pray along with you Rachel that the seeds that are planted in their hearts will some day come to bear fruit. Maybe as I write this you were able to eat some ripened mangos. :) Prayerfully, your friends, Deb & Dave :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no mangoes yet, but they're getting bigger 😉

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo