Ripples of Pemba

The kids squealed in delight when the light from the projector appeared on the rough cement wall of their house. I smiled as I adjusted the settings. The mother and teenagers showed equal appreciation and wonder at the small device. I felt anticipation swirl around the room as I opened the Jesus Film.

The movie started playing. I leaned back against the wall and thanked God for allowing me to visit Pemba the week before. I had been able to get the portable projector and other material to use with the Mwani people in Nampula.

Mama Z, her children, and several others enjoyed watching the story of Jesus. Afterward she and her neighbor who had come late talked about the crucifixion scene. They struggled watching how Jesus had been mistreated. I listened to them go back and forth about this for a bit before I said, "He did it for us."

"Yes, He died on the cross for our sins," she said.

Surprised by her straight-forward statement it took a second for me to agree. "Yes, He died on the cross for our sins and came back to life again."

Several days later I returned to Mama Z's house for a Kimwani lesson. Sitting down on her bamboo mat I pulled out a stack of flashcards I had brought from Pemba. She took one in curiosity. I glanced up to see her holding the card with Acts 16:31 written on it, "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved..."

She read it and looked with interest at the others in my hand. I laid out the rest on the bamboo mat. John 8:12, John 14:6, and the phrases "I believe Jesus is God. I believe He died on the cross, was buried, and came back to life again." Phrases and verses I want to memorize in Kimwani.

Mama Z only believes a fragment of these truths. She believes Jesus is a prophet, but His deity is a difficult concept for her to grasp. Thankfully she is not opposed to me talking about these truths with her.

She has heard the Gospel clearly through the Jesus Film and these verses and phrases. These ripple effects from the Pemba visit have planted seeds in her heart. I hope the seeds will grow to bear fruit someday and that the ripple effects will spread to touch other hearts as well in showing the Jesus Film in more Mwani homes.

Comments

  1. Yes, praying that the Word will take root in the lives of those who hear. Seeds are definitely being planted as you are obedient in sharing with others the Good News! Prayerfully, your friend, Deb :) We were so blessed yesterday evening to have 20 children attend our KidsWorld program for 1-5 grades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praying. How wonderful that you had 20 kids in your program yesterday.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo