1945

"I've been around a long time," *Rosa's mother-in-law said after I greeted her.

The statement caught me off guard. I had originally gone out to visit Mama A, but discovered she wasn't home. I had walked on to *Rosa's house but her son told me she wasn't home either. I felt disappointed until he said his grandmother was around. I found myself trying to hold a conversation in Kimwani with her.

My uncertainty of knowing how to respond to her blunt statement must have shown on my face. She said something, pushed herself to her feet, and hobbled into the house. I sat on the empty rice sack waiting for her, listening to the sound of ants eating away at the bamboo fence in front of me. I glanced around and spotted a USAID bucket, I chuckled and snapped a picture of it.

When the grandmother came back out she handed me her I.D. card before lowering herself back to the hard ground. I looked at the card and saw the year 1945 listed next to the birth date. "You have been around a long time," I agreed. She went on to tell me about her nine kids, their full names, which ones had already passed away, and where each of the five remaining ones currently lives.

She then asked if I had enjoyed my recent trip to Pemba. I broke into a grin and told her all about my time there. I had seen all of my friends. I had gone to the beach. I had been swimming. "Oh, and I went to a gathering of Mwani people. They are learning something that I want to learn in Kimwani as well."

took out my phone to show her a picture of the Gospel points someone had written in Kimwani. As I read it to her she leaned in with interest making a comment at one of the points. I went on to share a fragment of my testimony and that God will save anyone who believes in Jesus. I pulled up the Kimwani version of the Bible on my phone. She listened and nodded as I read Acts 16:31, Romans 10:13, and Romans 3:23 until a man walked into the yard.

The grandmother introduced me to him, one of her sons I hadn't met yet. She started asking him about different family members and their health. My mind drifted in and out of this conversation. The sun descended toward the horizon. When it felt like the list of family members was unending I finally excused myself so I could get back before dusk. As I walked home I thanked God for allowing me to share a part of the Gospel with her despite it being so unexpected and unplanned. I'm praying God will water the seed and provide the opportunity for a follow-up conversation.

Comments

  1. What a blessing for the conversation that God ordained for you to have to share about Jesus! My husband was also born in 1945, but we have 3 children and she was blessed with 9. :) Prayerfully, your friends, Dave & Deb :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo