Professor Rachel

The idea of teaching a class at the local theological seminary sat in the hypothetical world in my mind. A future possibility. Or so I thought.

It sprang on me like a cat. Out of nowhere, I needed to attend the teacher's meeting, introduce myself at teacher/student orientation, and have my first class ready to teach in Portuguese within a matter of days. All while saying goodbye to my parents.

Back in April, my team leaders had suggested the idea of me teaching at the seminary in Nampula. I had laughed it off as a joke, but they were serious. I told them I would pray about it. Me? Teach in Portuguese? Only if You want me to, Lord.

The idea moved to the back shelf of my mind to collect dust. About mid-June, however, it came up again with my German colleague. Upon hearing that I have a bachelor's degree she talked to the director of the seminary about me teaching there.

When she mentioned that I could teach the Missions course I thought she was talking about next year. My parents arrived and I forgot about it. Then, a few days before my parents left, I got told the semester was starting the following week and my first class would be on Tuesday. I freaked out for a second but then realized God had put this in front of me and He would equip me to do it. 

I showed up for the class that Tuesday as ready to teach as I could be. No students showed up. Can I say I was relieved? I probably shouldn't, but it is the truth. Apparently, it's common for students not to show up during the first week of classes. That was okay with me. It meant I had an extra week to prepare myself to teach in Portuguese.

This week I had the privilege of teaching my first official class. My three students interacted well with me and the material. I ended the class with a smile on my face and relief in my heart. I look forward to sharing my love for missions with these students over the next 15 weeks of the course.

Comments

  1. God truly was using you by your trust in Him to do what you wondered if you could :-)
    He will continue that for the duration of the classes, Rachel. God bless and enable you to do what He as called you to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, He is able to use anything or anyone for His glory.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. What a blessing for you to be teaching a missions class at a theological seminary! Isn't it amazing when God has us doing something that we never thought of doing before. He definitely stretches our faith. So thankful you are sharing your heart for missions. Praying for you as you teach, Deb & Dave :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo