For a Purpose

Oh no, I groaned on Thursday. I had just left to go visit Mama Z when she messaged to say she needed to go out and wouldn't be back until later. I pulled my car over to the side of the dusty road. What do I do now? I thought. I called my mechanic, "Are you available to look at my car?" I asked. He said yes so I continued down the road to his shop.

I've owned my car for two years and never had major problems with it. Until this past month that is. After seeing my mechanic twice in June I had two new issues to fix in order to pass the annual car inspection. 

Thankful to have a reliable mechanic, I discussed what needed fixing with him. Then I went to wait in his office, unsure of how to fill the time. I glanced at a book on his desk and did a double-take. The Portuguese words Why Am I on the Earth? grabbed my attention. Good question, I thought.

I've been asking myself similar questions the past few weeks. What am I here for? Why here in Nampula? Why am I the only one on my team in Mozambique right now? Why me? I feel like I'm hanging in limbo, waiting for something.

"Can I read your book?" I asked the mechanic. He agreed and I settled into a comfy chair to read A Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. One of the guys brought me some tea to enjoy with my book. Wow, God, thank you for rearranging my day and placing this book in front of me when I need it so badly.

I felt such peace, contentment, and reassurance from God as I read the book. I paused several times just to bask in His presence, soaking it up. I didn't care how long I had to stay at the mechanics.

I read 100 pages of the book before my car was fixed. Many truths penetrated deep into my heart. Timely reminders in this uncertain season.

While I don't understand all the details of why I'm in Nampula, I know God has a purpose in this season. Though it feels like a season of waiting, it's not a passive waiting. God is using this time to conform me to the image of Jesus. He is teaching me to be flexible, to let go and live in the moment, to listen to the leading of the Spirit, and the sweetness that comes from surrender.

Comments

  1. We don't always know the reason for some of our "God things" that bless our lives, but we praise Him for them...to bless and direct our thoughts and ways.


    ReplyDelete
  2. In God 's timing, He often reveals reasons to us and sometimes we may never know, but He does, and that's what's important. God knew what you needed just at the right time. Prayerfully, your friend, Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you as you seek Him during this time. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book's placement there when you needed it was no accident! Thank you, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo