Paving the Way

Imagine driving out of town, the vehicle picking up speed along with an anticipation of the destination. Suddenly, you come to a screeching halt. The road is closed. You have to find a new route to your destination and there are no detour signs, road maps, or anyone to help you navigate your way. You're on your own.

That's what it felt like when I left Pemba and came to Nampula. No team leaders. No idea of how to meet Mwani people in a strange city. Yet the goal still is to share the Gospel with the Mwani. It felt like I was on my own. However, I've discovered there are others who have gone before me and left a path to follow.

Last week, I walked down a narrow space between two walls and came out into a sandy yard. I greeted the six adults sitting under the mango tree. They brought me a chair and I introduced myself in Kimwani. A missionary friend had pointed out the Mwani home to me a few days before. They exclaimed at my Kimwani, happy to hear their own language in a city dominated by the Macua language.

They started talking animatedly to one another in Kimwani. I listened, trying to pull out words I recognized.

"She speaks Kimwani like Steve!" I heard one of them say to the others

"Wait," I interrupted, "You all know Steve?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes, we know Steve. He had that library of Kimwani books in Mocimboa years ago and spoke good Kimwani," they answered me.

Steve is the AIM leader who helped me settle into Pemba over two years ago and introduced me to Mama R and the others. He had previously served in Mocimboa. The books referred to are some of the gospel booklets I've been using in Pemba.

"When can we talk again?" they asked me at the end of the conversation. I smiled, happy at their interest, and told them I'd come back in two days.

This family has welcomed me with open arms because of Steve's reputation and the relationships he had built in Mocimboa. I have visited with the women several times since that first conversation. When they asked my opinion on something, they listened intently as I gave them an answer from God's Word.

Praise God for reminding me that I am not on my own in this. He is with me and He used others to pave the way for me. May God continue to lead me in the coming weeks.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing, Rachel! That must be so encouraging! Praying for you, and for this family. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for making time to write. You do it beautifully. I love the way you make me feel part of what you are doing. Praying for you and the Mwani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Mrs. Brandenburg. I'm glad to hear that reading these blogs makes you feel even more a part of what's going on. That's my hope every time I write a blog 😊
      Thank you for praying ❤️

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful God moment and that He paved the way through your friend Steve for your conversation with your new friends. God is amazing in how He directs our paths! May you have a blessed week as you continue to serve Him faithfully. Prayerfully, your friend, Deb :) Dave too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I can't imagine how small you must feel in a big city, but then to be reminded that God is so much bigger and can set up these connections you spoke of. How incredible to "bump into" people that knew the same Steve you did! God is awesome and always at work. I trust he'll continue to provide, protect and direct your steps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo