Women's Day Blunder

How can one tiny culture blunder change the entire tone of a day?

I laughed frequently with Mama R, Mama S, Mama F, and Maureen throughout Women's Day, enjoying the most important day of the year for many Mozambican women. We took pictures, cooked, and dressed in our new capulanas. We then ate our picnic of grilled chicken, potato salad, tomato rice, and the chocolate cake I had made for them. 

At the end of the special day, I gathered all the things that I had brought to Mama R's house and went home with Maureen.

Not twenty minutes later Mama R arrived at the back door, fuming. She yelled at me, telling me she did not like that I had taken her chocolate cake. In shock and confusion, I responded defensively. It was my cake and I wanted to give the leftovers to another friend. Of course, that made the situation worse. She glared and walked out with a humph.

I turned and stared at Maureen. I understood the words, but not the cultural implications of what had happened. She did not understand the words, but as I translated for her she looked at me in horror.

Maureen explained that in Africa you never take something after you bring it to someone's house, even if it's potluck style. It's theirs to eat and return the container or pan to you afterward. As she talked my heart sank. 

Culturally, I had stolen from Mama R and deeply offended her. It didn't matter that I had made the cake. It didn't matter that I wanted to share the leftovers with others. By bringing it to Mama R's house I had forfeited my right to take it home with me. Would Mama R forgive me for my blunder?

The next day I went to Mama R's house and humbly apologized for my error. I don't think she understood why I had done it, but she did accept my apology. Our relationship is restored. But oh how I long for her to be forgiven and restored to a right relationship with God, which is far more important than any earthly relationship.

Comments

  1. Thankful your friendship is restored! You will have to make her another chocolate cake sometime. :) Thanks for sharing! Dave & I well remember when living in Glendale Heights when we were invited to a family's home from another country for dinner, and their custom was for us to eat the food they prepared as they talked with us and watched us eat. So many differences in the world our God has created!
    Prayerfully, your friend, Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's interesting! I've never heard of a culture like that before. Thanks for sharing 🙂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo