A Seeker Leading Seekers

In a culture where most men have two or more wives in different locations it is strange to find a man living with his only wife 24/7. It is even more unusual when that man is willing to lead his family in seeking the Truth as a seeker himself. 


I arrived at Mama N's house Wednesday afternoon for our Bible study. Her husband, Papa N, came out to greet me first. The other family members gathered around with eager expectation. A hunger to learn more about God shone in their eyes.

We all found a seat under the shade tree in their backyard, some on the woven mat, some on empty rice sacks, and one or two on the rocky ground. I opened the storybook to where we had left off the previous week. I read of Jesus' birth, childhood, miracles, and his riding into Jerusalem on a donkey.

A teenage girl in the yard on the hillside above us started calling to someone in the yard below. I paused and looked up. She had no idea she had interrupted an important moment. Papa N asked her to be quiet and motioned for me to continue.

I read of the betrayal of Jesus, His crucifixion, death, and burial. "Mama F, can you explain to them that the day after tomorrow is when we remember and celebrate this?" I said in Portuguese. She explained it in Kimwani and everyone's eyes brightened with understanding.

As Mama F finished, my hand went to my throat. It burned from pronouncing so many strange words. "Does anyone else know how to read in Kimwani?" I asked.

Papa N responded and reached eagerly for the book. He began to read of Jesus' resurrection, His last words to His disciples, His ascension, and promise of return. I marveled at the sight of a Mwani man reading God's Word to his family and longed to take a picture. Instead, I soaked in the scene, glancing from one enraptured face to the next.

 

I shifted, trying to find a more comfortable position on the hard ground, and made eye contact with the grandmother. I smiled at her. She grinned back at me, nodding her head in agreement with the message her grandson read in her heart language.

Papa N finished reading that section of the storybook. Oh, how I wanted him to continue! Unfortunately, the sun hovered above the horizon, urging me to make the climb home while it remained light.

"Can I pray for you all?" I asked. They agreed and I closed our time thanking God for such a wonderful opportunity to learn from His Word together. In my heart, I also thanked God for Papa N, for his desire to seek the Truth and to lead his family in seeking that Truth.

"Until next week," I said as I stood.

"Ayee, until next week," they all chorused.

Comments

  1. God is certainly at work in the hearts of your people. May God be glorified as He finds a place in their hearts and lives at time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for His Almighty power in the lives of those who are searching for Him and someday for those who will come to Him! Thank you for sharing this amazing story of the power of God's Word! Prayerfully, your friends, Dave & Deb :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo