Cooking Mozambican Style (Photo Journey)

What does it look like to cook Mozambican style?

I arrived at Mama R's house at 8:00am for my Kimwani cooking lesson. She set me to work pounding peanuts. What an arm workout that is! Usually, early morning is a bit cooler, but I was dripping in sweat after several minutes and I was nowhere near done. After pounding the peanuts I pounded leaves into a pulp. Do you know how long it takes to pound leaves into pulp? A long time.

After pounding the leaves, Mama R put them on to boil. Thankfully, she saw that I was tired and needed a break; she had me go home and rest while the leaves boiled.

When I came back, she told me to grate two coconuts in order to make coconut milk for both the rice and the Matapa we were making. 

I sat on the little bench and used the sharp, metal end to grate the coconut. Then I poured water over the coconut and squeezed out all of the coconut flavor to get coconut milk. I put half in a pot and put it over charcoal to boil before adding the rice.

Most women I know cook outside because it's too hot to cook inside and they only have little charcoal burners. Mama R has a little kitchen shack though. That's where I left the rice to boil while I went to finish the Matapa.


The other half of the coconut milk went into the leaves I had pounded earlier. Salt, garlic, and other seasonings were added in along with the peanuts I had pounded earlier in the morning. This created my favorite traditional Mozambican cuisine - Matapa! 


Around 1:00pm we finally had our finished Matapa and coconut rice. Everyone said it tasted great! I relished both the delicious food and the compliments. Cooking Mozambican style is no joke in the blazing sun, even harder with 90% of the instructions given in Kimwani.

This cooking lesson gave me a deeper appreciation for what the women here go through every single day. They are strong. Stronger than I can even imagine.

Comments

  1. Wow! Good job, Rachel. That is indeed a workout. I'm sure it will have other rewards besides the good taste. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. At least to empathize with the women I interact with.

      Delete
  2. My hat’s off to you! I watched a good many women pounding cassava into Fufu in Ghana and grain into Chadian Boule. I had, and have, the utmost respect for the hardworking African women and the amount of effort they put into feeding their families (and me). Blessings to you in this wonderful experience! - Ben Keirn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's incredible the amount of work they put in to feed their families. I have an even greater respect for them now that I know what it takes.
      Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Amazing hard work to make your favorite traditional Mozambican food!! Women in America and many other countries have it so easy when it comes to making meals for our families! :) May you have a blessed Easter. We have a Risen Saviour!! We are having our oldest son and his family over in the afternoon. Prayerfully your friends, Dave & Deb :)

      Delete
    3. May you have a blessed Easter as well ☺️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo