Friendship Center

Shock and discomfort swept over me as I stepped inside. 
Doubts ran through my mind:
"What am I doing here?"
"I don't know anyone."
"I don't belong, I don't fit in."
Announcements were made in another language and translated into English for those of us who needed it.
I felt overwhelmed and intimidated. 
As I opened up and began talking with a few people I relaxed and was able to enjoy the evening. Delicious Middle Eastern food was served in a lively, friendly atmosphere.

Tonight was the grand opening of the West Michigan Friendship Center. A place for refugees and immigrants to find resources, make friends, enjoy community, and make the adjustment to living in a new culture alongside others doing the same.

Later in the evening I mentioned to a new acquaintance my initial fear, discomfort, and overwhelming reaction upon entering the place. She responded that is how most all refugees and immigrants feel upon entering a new culture. I looked around. Understanding dawned in me as I realized the significance of this place. I saw people from various backgrounds who had also walked in feeling unsure now laughing and talking together. 

No, I am not a refugee or an immigrant but I hope to begin volunteering at this place when possible so I can be a part of making others feel comfortable in a culture where they feel uncertain at first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo