Precious Last Moments

Elizabeth and Refilwe clung to me. Their long faces matched mine. The dreaded time to say goodbye had come. 
Last week I told them I had one more week left with them. They were sad and asked if I was coming back next year. I told them no and explained that there are still people in the world who do not know that Jesus died on the cross for their sins and people groups that do not have a Bible in their own language. I told them I want to go to some of these people to tell them about Jesus. They understood but were still sad.
They both came Thursday afternoon for the final day of ministry hungry for the Word of God, excited for the fun games, and happy to see me. They also came with something for me...
They each gave me a note that expressed their thanks and love.

Our time was drawing to a close. The lesson was over, the games were all packed up, everyone else started to leave. Elizabeth and Refilwe sat down next to me to say goodbye, their friends crowding around. 
"But why must you leave?" Elizabeth asked. 
"Remember, last week I told you there are other people who do not know about Jesus, they do not have Bibles to read. I want to go tell them about God," I replied. 
"I want to come with you," She stated. 
"You need to stay here."
"Why?"
"Because you need to finish school and be a good student."
"But why can't I tell other people about Jesus?!"
"You can. You can tell people at school and when you finish school you can go to Bible school and learn more about God then go tell other people about Him."
I noticed Refilwe had grown quiet, I felt her draw closer to my side, and when I looked the tears that had welled up in her eyes had started to spill over onto her cheeks. It nearly broke my heart and my own tears came. I comforted her with the truth that we will see each other again in heaven.
 
I hugged each of them close and then we walked slowly to the car. I hugged them again, saying one final goodbye, then started to climb in, as I turned around to wave goodbye Elizabeth said "wait, one more hug!" One last hug. How hard it is to say goodbye to those we care about so much. 

I will cherish the notes they gave me and remember to pray for them everytime I see and read them.
"Lord, please be with these precious girls. May Your Spirit guide them into all truth (John  16:13) so that they may not be confused by all the false messages being taught today. May they continue to grow in Your grace and knowledge (2 Peter 3:18). Continue to deepen their desire for You and Your word. Give them the strength and courage to boldly tell others about You. I know You are with them and care about them more than I do. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of their life and giving me the reassuring hope of spending eternity in Your presence with them."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo