Summer Camp MZ 2016

2 ½ weeks, 3 camps, 20+ team members, language and culture learning, lots of work = a great recipe for good friendships to form.

Elina is my closest friend and really acted as an older sister to me during the camps. She taught me how to wash my clothes by hand and made sure I knew what was happening and where I needed to be. We were able to work together in the cafeteria for the first two camps and I do not think I could have done it without her patience and kindness.

Mattheus is my favorite little boy. He was just adopted by one of the missionary families and I fell in love with him. He and I would spend time together whenever we could. He loves to play with water. His favorite phrase is “senta la” (sit there) and he would pat a place next to him for me to sit at.

Catarina was only there for two of the three camps but I really appreciated getting to spend time with her and talking with her. Her and her boyfriend really want to become missionaries. I’m hoping to spend more time with her and get to know her better next year.

Mama Ivona made a very special pair of earrings for me made out of Capulana fabric (the traditional Mozambican fabric). She and another mama cooked all of the meals for the whole 2 ½ weeks.

Mertina is a unique personality. I met her back in August when we helped at the same tent camp. This time she was my boss in the Refeitorio (cafeteria) and at first we struggled a little because of the language barrier and personality differences. As time went on and by the grace of God we became good friends and on my last night there she presented a Capulana to me in front of the whole camp (along with the other young ladies and mama’s). It was very special for me.

I did not get to talk a lot with the campers because I was working so much in the cafeteria and because at first I was not strong enough with the language. Next year I really want to counsel if possible. 

I am back in the U.S. now because I have more training with Word of Life in New York January 13-25. It’s been good to spend time with family and friends this past week since landing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo