This week was definitely different from the other two weeks... I didn't know my co-counselor ahead of time, but we seemed to work well together for this week, especially since she was more used to older kids. Having older girls meant we were able to get into deeper conversations  with them, but then we also had to deal with more drama, like having crushes on boys and attitude issues. We had 10 girls, but they were a much more diverse group this week. We had three quiet Asian girls that hung out together, two MK's :) one from Romania and one from South Africa, after Monday night 9 out of the 10 were trusting in Christ alone to save them from their sins, we had two EXTREMELY hyper girls, one in particular was overly crazy at times, one had major attitude issues which one of the other girls didn't know how to handle and that exploded two or three times, and a few of them were wonderful, helpful, and kind. I noticed by Tuesday that they were very impressionable. They would come up to me at random times and ask me a question, deeply desiring to know my opinion about something. I began to use those opportunities to give more of my opinion and why I believed it than I was used to, but it was really cool being able to be a role model and influence for those girls!

Monday night I was having fun playing in the shallow area with three of the girls and right in the middle two of them stopped and asked me about the ring on my finger. I briefly explained to them that it was my purity ring and what it meant to me personally. It took 5 minutes and then we went back to playing. Later that night both of those girls responded to the gospel invitation and I got to talk to them more about assurance, how they could know for sure that they were saved from their sins once and for all and not only would they go to heaven some day, but they could grow closer in their relationship with God here on earth. The next day I had a few hours off to relax, so when I met up with them again after lunch they had both gone to the Word of Life bookstore and bought purity rings! :) I was (and still am) blown away by the fact that God would allow me to be used like that in there life.

Thursday afternoon was the hardest because that's when the biggest attitude issue happened, and I had to pull the girl aside and talk to her. I know she was listening most of the time, part of the time she was crying, but I felt like the conversation wasn't going anywhere. I explained the gospel to her three or four different ways and even though she knows that the only way you can get to heaven is by asking Jesus to save you from your sins, she still thinks she can be good enough, go to church and pray enough to get herself into heaven. It was a little hard to see her leave this morning still thinking that, but it is also reassuring to know that I did my part and shared the truth with her and I could tell she was thinking about it and God is the one who can change a persons heart and He knows where she is right now and I can trust Him.

This next week I again have the Middle School age group, but at least this time I am a little more prepared to know how to work with them and know there schedule better. I have two other co-counselors, both of them are amazing and it will be fun to counsel with them. 

Please pray that I will focus on the task at hand and not get distracted by anything Satan throws at me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo