Coffee Shop Atheist

My ears perked up. The three men at the table across from me in the coffee shop had started talking about the Bible. My intentions of working on my historical fiction novel got pushed aside as I started eavesdropping on their conversation. Who were they? What were they saying about the Bible? The smartly dressed, white-haired gentleman facing me pulled up Romans 8 on his phone and read part of it to the young man sitting with his back to me. Intriguing. I love Romans 8. Was it a pastor mentoring a young man in his church? 

Then came the revelation. The two older men facing me identified themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses. I should have known. But what about the young man with his back to me? Who was he? I could hear the older men quite well, they had louder voices directed towards me. But the young man had a softer voice and was facing away from me. I couldn't hear him very well.

Concern for the young man grew in my heart. I know who Jehovah's Witnesses are. I know what they do. Was he a Christian holding his own? Or were they slowly drawing him in with their subtle, sugar-coated lies?

I threw all thoughts of working on my novel out the window. I felt compelled to join the conversation. Wait, me? Quiet, shy, never-talk-to-strangers, especially strange men in a coffee shop me? Yes, the Holy Spirit was pulling me in. I caught the eye of the other Jehovah's Witness and signaled my request to join their conversation.

He seemed surprised, "You want to join our conversation?" he asked across the space between our tables.

"Yes, can I join your conversation?" I said in response. He nodded and I walked over. "How are you doing with these two guys?" I asked the young man.

"I'm giving them a hard time," he replied.

"Good," I said. Introductions were made all around and they welcomed me into their table conversation. I made a few comments so they knew where I stood but mostly I listened to their discussion to get a feel for what the young man believed. He grew up Catholic but somewhere down the road became an atheist/agnostic. He was doing very well holding up his end of the debate, but said several times that he could be persuaded. 

With the sun pouring through the big front windows of the coffee shop, I listened to the Jehovah's Witnesses and kept thinking to myself, "Man, these guys are good at what they do." They appeared genuine, and caring, building rapport, and constantly looking for common ground wherever possible. I agreed with a lot of what they said, but deep down I knew we disagreed on the most foundational issues of faith.

When the young man referenced his career as a lawyer and his love for intellectual conversations and arguments, I made a Christian book recommendation that I thought he might appreciate. Then I hesitated. Should I invite him to my small group that meets on Sunday nights? Most of us in the small group love intellectual debates. We all come from different cultural and theological backgrounds. In my hesitation, the two Jehovah's Witnesses took the conversation in another direction. I had missed my opportunity.

I shivered, pulling my coat tighter around my shoulders, as a draft of cold air came in with a new customer. The conversation seemed to be winding down. I still could not believe I had actually invited myself into a conversation with three strange men in a coffee shop. Finally, one of the Jehovah's Witnesses finished with, "All these arguments aside. *Joe, how are you doing? Really, how are YOU?" He said it with genuine care and concern in his voice.

The young man looked back at him, shrugged, and said, "okay." 

"Just okay?" I asked. His body language said there was so much more to that statement. He turned to look at me and with such deep sadness in his eyes told me the devastating loss he had experienced two months ago. My heart dropped at the weight of his words. "I'm so sorry," I said. "I thought about mentioning this earlier, but I wasn't sure about it, now I think I need to. I have a small group that meets on Sunday nights. We study the Bible together but we usually end up in intellectual debates about various topics. Having community at a time like this can be essential. It's been an encouragement for me after going through some difficult things. You're more than welcome to come!"

He said he would be interested and gave me his phone number. After he left, the Jehovah's Witnesses asked me about my educational background. They seemed to hold total respect for me even though I made several blunt remarks throughout the conversation about what I think of Jehovah's Witnesses and what we disagree on. They even told me to tell my parents they did a good job raising me. They have no idea how crazy of an experience that was for me. I had been shaking for almost the entire conversation and didn't stop shaking for at least an hour afterward. I truly believe God had me in that coffee shop at that time for the sake of that young man.

Please pray for him. He's hurting. Despite his doubt about whether God exists, I sense that he wants a genuine encounter with God. Pray he will attend my small group. There are guys in my small group who can meet him where he's at and help him in ways that I cannot nor should as someone of the opposite gender.

Comments

  1. We will pray that you have more opportunities with this young man, drawing him to our Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo