Grand Adventure (part 2)

I woke up the next morning with the same sense of peace, contentment, and happiness permeating me. I listened to the movement of the family already going about their tasks outside before getting up. Emerging from the house I breathed in the fresh morning scent and greeted the aunt as she swept the yard. 

Sitting in the sun for warmth, I helped shell the last of the peanuts with Clementina and the aunts. One of the older women said something in Macua; she sounded pleased with my work. The party moved back to the tarp in the shade of the cashew tree. I tried learning how to flip the peanuts and shells in a reed basket to separate them. We all laughed together at my feeble attempts.

Later, we drove to another village to hike to a mountain, which was an adventure that lasted the whole day. On our way back that night we had a car problem. I sat on the ground watching the men trying to fix the car. When I looked up at the starry sky, I saw the Southern Cross hanging over my car and started singing How Great is Our God. Back at the house, I managed to eat a few bites of duck before crawling into bed, exhausted.

The original plan was to leave around 8:00 the following morning. I should have learned by now that nothing went according to plan. After taking bucket baths down at the dry riverbed, Clementina and I sat talking and rubbing skins off the roasted peanuts, waiting for the guys to get ready.

A little girl came down the path with a basin on her head. I smiled at her and when she smiled back it was the most beautiful, precious smile. She watched me as I flipped the reed basket so the wind could blow the peanut skins away, giggling to her cousins. I gave them a few of the peanuts, which they ate with glee.

The brother came and told us the family was slaughtering a goat for our early lunch. I realized we would be lucky if we left by 10:00. At some point, I got frustrated at the delays. After having a conversation with God about this, though, I enjoyed the rest of the goodbye event. Yes, event. Multi-faceted and lasting the entire morning, it included far more than the goat.

When we had all eaten we said it was time to go. Everyone started offering to carry our things. The girl with the beautiful smile grinned as she took Nelson's water bottle and put it on top of her head. Then we all gathered for a picture.

Joy and laughter filled the air. One of the aunts came and wove her arm through mine and smiled warmly at me. After taking many pictures and a video, we all headed down the path.


Arriving at the cars, the guys started loading everything up. Sacks of shelled peanuts, bags of beans, two chickens, and a duck went into the backs of the cars (thankfully the animals went in the back of the brother's car). Backpacks, water bottles, and people all crammed into the seats. Around 12:00 we finally drove up the trail to the mother's side of the village to say goodbye to them before continuing on.

Looking back, I think about how warm and kind everyone was. Full of life and joy despite not having many material possessions. My heart is burdened for them, though, as I think of their need for the Gospel. Hardly any churches or Christians in the whole region. God, bring Your light to these people.

Comments

  1. Once again Rachel, what wonderful experiences God gave you with people He loves and wants to know Him. I have never taken a bucket bath before. :) Prayerfully, your friends, Dave & Deb :) Hug!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo