A Lightbulb Moment

Think of your three best friends (past or present). How did you make a connection and become friends? From what I know, a lot of people make friends through activities. Maybe doing sports together, sharing a hobby, volunteering together, going to the movies, playing games, or going on a hike.

Well, that's not me. Oh sure, I've done many activities and met a lot of people that way, but I struggle to make real connections through shared activities. Let me give you an example:

Macy and I attended college together for two years. We carpooled home for the holidays and went on a ministry trip to New York City together. We went to South Africa as interns. We assembled beds, painted window frames, refurbished a desk, and baked together. Despite all this, we did not connect. The friction between us was palpable.

One night I broke down crying because of a family issue. I sobbed out my story to Macy. She was speechless at first. Who was this unfamiliar and emotionally vulnerable person? she thought.

When Macy listened to and cared about my story I felt an immediate connection with her. The barrier between us crumbled. We became best friends, sharing a bond now that neither one of us can fathom.


I knew Macy and I shared something special, but I didn't understand why until last month. One of the seminars at the retreat I attended was on Third Culture Kids. I am a Third Culture Kid (TCK) because I grew up between two cultures: raised in Kenya by American parents.

According to research, explained in the book Third Culture Kids (3rd edition), TCKs feel a connection when someone has listened to their story. Activities are more enjoyable for TCKs after a story-connection has been made. TCKs can come across as arrogant and might view others as shallow because of this core difference in how they make connections.

A lightbulb went off in my head during the seminar. No wonder I have struggled to connect with people! I think and act differently from others and don't even realize or understand why. This makes me even more thankful for friends like Macy who love me despite my differences.

Comments

  1. It is wonderful how God brought Macy into your life and then through sharing with her, you became true forever friends! God is amazing isn't He! May you have a blessed Thanksgiving with your family. Hug to you and hugs to your mom & dad. :) Prayerfully, your friends, Dave & Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, thank you for your response. God truly is amazing and I thank Him for my friendship with Macy. Happy Thanksgiving to you too <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo