Cape Town Recap & Parents visit

Wow a whole month since I wrote a blog and a lot has happened. I went to Cape Town on a missions trip and two days after returning my parents arrived in South Africa to visit me. I had the privilege of taking them into Mozambique for part of the time. They just arrived safely back in the U.S. today and I have started catching back up on the work I pushed aside while I spent time with them.

SMASH Cape Town
While in Cape Town I was able to help with a Holiday Bible Club (like a VBS) at a church in Mitchell's Plain. We had a good average of kids from the community each day and several of them made professions of faith. One of the unexpected things I did was adapt the songs for the specific need in that church which was not too challenging as God brought to mind several songs I learned from teaching with Child Evangelism Fellowship. It is always cool to see how God uses various things in our lives in unexpected ways. 
We also went out one afternoon to share the Gospel with people we met on the streets nearby. I had the opportunity to converse with an older, Muslim lady about what makes Christianity different from the world's religions, including Islam. The conversation was open and pleasant and I know God's Word will not return void even though there was no visible change when I said goodbye. I also talked with two young ladies about my age who were very attentive to what I shared, hiding the truth of God's Word in their hearts to ponder over.
On the last day of our trip before coming back to Johannesburg we were able to hike Table Mountain which was breathtaking (literally because of the exertion and also the beauty of God's creation). 

Parents Visit
Spending time with my parents for almost three weeks and introducing them to the people and ministries I've come to know and love both in South Africa and Mozambique was wonderful. We did a few tourist activities, but my primary focus was on letting them see what my life here has been like, introducing them to all my friends and taking them on ministry with me. We were all blessed by our time together and thank God for arranging all the details whether big or little. 

Dad at Zandspruit. Every Thursday afternoon I go to a kids ministry in the Zandspruit community and my parents were able to participate twice. The second time there these boys asked my dad to lead their small group to talk about what they learend from the Bible lesson. My dad enjoyed being asked to do this and my mom got a good picture of it. :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo