Visibly Changed: A Story about T__

This is a story about T__, one of the campers from my cabin last week. As you read her story you will understand why I am not writing her full name:

T__ was placed in my cabin with 3 other girls, she was quiet and reserved, often sitting alone. On the second day I learned she was Muslim. During devotions that night I asked all of them two questions: If you were to die tomorrow are you sure you would go to heaven? If God asked you why he should let you into heaven what would your response be? T__ was the last to answer, after hesitating she said, “In my religion we do not know if we will go to heaven or not.” She had no idea who Paul was and did not want to borrow my Bible for devotions. 

The next day I asked her, "Did your parents grow up Muslim?” She explained that her Father had been Catholic but converted to Islam to marry her mother. Her grandmother is a devout Muslim. “I think both religions are good and worship the same God,” she told me. I told her this could not be true, “the Quran says Jesus was just a prophet but the Bible says He is God and Jesus says “I am the way the truth and the life no one comes to the Father but by Me,” John 14:6. “They can’t both be right." I could tell she was processing the whole conversation, her words and facial expression changed, I knew she now understood the truth but wasn’t ready to accept it yet, she needed time to think. 

On the last night, I walked back from the meeting with all the girls in my cabin, the mood was very serious, quiet, and a few tears shone on their cheeks. When we got back to the cabin and sat down I said, “I want each of you to tell me what tonight meant for you.” She immediately said, "I believed in Jesus.” I wanted to shout for joy! But the mood wouldn’t allow it. I said amen and smiled at her, our eyes interlocking. A few minutes later I moved to sit next to her and gave her a big embrace. I was able to give her a Bible she could keep; she took it from me and hugged it with a grateful smile. From the moment of this declaration in the cabin until she left the next day she could not stop smiling. The joy of the Lord radiated from her eyes and smile and His peace filled her face.

During breakfast I heard her telling a few other girls about her decision but uncertain of what her family would say. They were excited for her and encouraging her. She said she knew God had arranged for her to come to camp despite her mother's reluctance because He wanted her to hear His message of salvation. During our last devotion as a cabin she found the passage in her Bible by herself and read it for us. As we talked about the verses and what needed to change in their lives she wrote everything down. I advised her to start reading the book of John and wrote down a few extra foundation verses to read and cling to. When she left she gave me a hug, a huge smile, and said thank you. The joy and radiance from the night before had only grown brighter on her face for all to see. 

Please pray for T__ she has a long and difficult road ahead of her. She has already told her family. Her father is really happy, but she doesn’t think her mother believes her. Pray God will give her strength and that she will continue to grow in her knowledge of Him and in relationship with Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo