Youth Day



Youth Day - Thursday, June 16, was a national holiday in South Africa to remember those who died in the student uprising of 1976, during Apartheid. To commemorate this event we all went to see the film, Sarafina, that portrays what the struggle was like for the people living under those suppressive times. It was a good history lesson for me to learn and much to ponder over in my mind. Neither side handled things perfectly. Without God humanity is lost, sinful, and wicked. Apart from the love of Christ we do not treat others as they deserve. Every human being is made in God's image and deserves respect, no matter who they are. 

Before the movie started Connie and I were walking with our arms around each others shoulders. I noticed people looking at us. How ironic; even on the day set aside to honour the youth who died in the struggle for freedom racism still exists. But how wonderful to be part of God's family where there are no differences. I have been blessed by my relationship with Connie and the other students I live with. Why would I not love her? How beautiful to be able to walk with our arms around each others shoulders. How wonderful to laugh and have fun together. Her smile brightens my day and her laughter brings joy to my heart. The ground is truly level at the foot of the cross.  


(Connie is in the middle)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Shop Atheist

5-Day Club

God's Backward Oreo